Trial begins in fatal CiCi's parking lot accident | News
JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC)- Testimony began today in the trial of Jessica Branham, who is accused of running over and killing a man in a CiCi's Pizza parking lot in 2011.
Branham, 25, is charged with reckless manslaughter and if she is convicted, she faces two to 20 years in prison.
Lee George, the son of victim Randy Colburn, took the stand today. He testified that on that day last year he had met his father and his father's fiance at CiCi's Pizza to have lunch. As they were leaving, George said that Branham hit and ran over his father.
The county medical examiner also testified, explaining the injuries Colburn sustained during the incident.
The court also heard Branham's voluntary statement to police that she had used cocaine three times the day of the incident, including right before she allegedly hit Colburn. She said she had a seizure that caused her to black out and didn't know what had happened.
Despite the pain George said he still feels over the death of his father, he had an amazing message for Branham.
"It hurts. But I forgive the girl because Christ loves us so much and tells us to forgive."
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Authorities investigate 8 school burglaries in four-county area
- FBI searches for suspect in St. Clair County bank robbery
- I-20 lanes reopen after tractor trailer fire in St. Clair County
- Vestavia Hills attorney arrested on theft charges after returning to U.S.
- Scholarship honors memory of St. Clair Co. teen killed in car wreck